Tuesday 28 August 2012

Timeless Temple Treasures


Whilst in Bali, I visited several temples as they are the key to understanding the central role of religion in the lives of the people.  The first was a magnificent public village temple called Pura Puseh, in Batuan, in the Ubud region.  Visitors are welcome, but to observe temple etiquette I dressed in a sarong and happily made a donation. To enter, I had to pass through a towering split gate (the candi bentar) that represents the cosmic mountain split into the positive and negative forces. This entrance was guarded by a pair of ferocious looking demon statues who were draped in the black and white checked poleng fabric (symbolising the contrast and balance between good and bad spirits).  The colours yellow (prosperity) and white (holiness) also had a strong visual impact, in lengths of draped fabric and flags that rippled in the breeze, and decorative fringed parasols. The temple has been extensively restored in recent years and was a showcase for Balinese arts, crafts and building skills. I learnt about the traditional architectural features with their complex meanings, and the significance of the shrines and rituals that take place there. Fortunately an odalan (festival), was taking place. Queues of women waited patiently to present their colourful offerings of flowers and other materials, and the atmosphere was thick with incense and the rhythmic gamelan music played by the temple musicians in their rich costumes.  
 
 


 
Other temples I visited include Pura Taman Ayun, (‘vast garden’), a stunning moated complex with a physical design that symbolizes the Hindu world set in the cosmic sea.  To the faithful, the temple is believed to ensure the harmonious circulation of water – water, that is essential for life itself… flowing from the mountains to Bali’s ricefields, to the sea, and in turn,  back to the mountains, falling as rain. So, on this hot, sunny day, in this place that was conceived way back in the 18th century to give thanks to the gods for the vital element of water, it was fitting that I should feel the power of the place… entranced by the beauty of the inner moats with their exotic lotus flowers,  and the magical reflections of  the beautiful temple architecture – most notably the striking Meru towers. The towers function as shrines, and their design symbolizes some of Bali’s sacred mountains ( believed to be the homes of the gods). I learnt from my guide that their intriguing sculptural roof forms consist of 3, 5, 7, 9 or 11 tiers, depending on the importance of the deity, and that the dark fibre used for the roof is a product of the sugar palm. (I realised that my hotel’s ornate garden lanterns that I plan to recreate for my own garden back home, have been inspired by the design of the Meru towers, and also have roofs made from the same material.)   As I gaze at the temple cats that have made this place ‘home’ since the beginning, and watch the exquisite offerings tossed by pilgrims into the waters of the moat silently drifting along, caught by the gentle currents, I have a sense that this tranquil place, created by the hand of man,  is a little piece of paradise, and a visionary setting for all visitors to make a connection with the spiritual world.
 
 
Another interesting visit was to the Pura Dalem temple in the forests near Kedaton, which is home to several hundred long-tailed macaque monkeys that are indigenous to the island. The monkeys are an obvious draw for tourists like me, but to the Balinese, they are traditionally regarded as holy and sacred, as in their ancient mythology, the King Subali took the form of a monkey, and temple carvings and masks worn in dance performances often feature monkey-headed deities (see my Balinese carved wooden Monkey Mask in the Understanding Art studio).



As my time in Bali drew to a close, I had two more temple treasures to cherish, on a visit that stands out as an unforgettable finale to my trip. Fortuitously it was a full moon on that last night, with the promise of a special festival in which many Balinese people were to be involved. And so I joined hundreds of pilgrims who had travelled far and wide, to converge on the world famous Pura Tanah Lot, that dates back to the 16th century. The setting is spectacular as the temple is only accessible at low tide, and visitors have to make their way over the rocks on foot, across to the small peninsular that reaches 100 yards into the ocean. In the opposite direction was another smaller temple – Pura Batu Bolong, elevated on a natural stone archway that has been eroded over millions of years by the sea.  I arrived just as the sun was setting, and watched in silence as the line of silhouetted pilgrims threw their offerings into the water, to be consumed by the crashing waves below. Sights and sounds of this wonderful island, that I will treasure in my memory forevermore.....



6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The island of Gozo, is in the Maltese islands, in the middle of the Mediterranean sea. The island is covered with catholic churches, and the St John's Serve. Even through the chaos of modern day Malta, there is peace on the nearby islands.
      The Azure Window, is an archway, formed by the sea, the stone, which is limestone, gives the surrounding waters, a sea of childhood, while further out at sea, the blue is an deep royal blue. There has as well a film’s with scenes with the Azure Window.
      This temple reminds me of the Azure window because the idea of having an arch in which you can walk over, but, the Azure Window, due to the limestone dissolving quickly, the Azure Window’s arch will break away and become the Azure Pinnacle.
      However, the Azure window has no symbolic reference, and isn’t seen religious. The Cathedrals are decorated with the most gold, marble, and paintings of the different Saints and divers often dive around the Azure Window.
      The Pura Bata Bolong, is a holy place, where the offerings are thrown in the sea. The archway will last a lot longer than the Azure Window and you are able to walk on the shore near to the temple, this will as well be less more hassled with tourists, and will not be remembered as much as the Azure Window.

      Delete
  2. Hello Julia, I have found your blog useful, while researching for my individual investigation, in which I researched the differences and similar between the Welsh Chapels and the Bali Temples.
    Thank you, for this entry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Julia, I have read over your blog as I was interested in all over your amazing travels. I have picked the Timeless temple treasures post (Pura Puseh) as I think it relates to my work in Understanding Art. This visit has really interested me and attracted me to the beautiful architecture with the outstanding detail. The Timeless Temple is located in Bali and is a key understanding the central role of religion in these lives of the people; the people are welcoming and very warm to visitors from different countries and cultures. In some of the pictures you can see two ferocious looking demon’s in the entrance as it is believed to keep talking the evil away. As part of my travels I visited Dubai as I attended a traditional mosque with a different type of architecture. I have been really interested and amazed as I will be producing a few worksheets related to your travels. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. As an art student I was fascinated to read the journey that you have experienced. The visit to the temples was the one that interested me the most as I am interested in the structures of architecture, with the use of patterns, texture and design itself. What interested me the most were the two shrine towers where you mention that they are believed to be the home of the gods!!.....Wow. I wish I could visit these temples for myself and visit the beauty that surrounds these SPECTACULAR structures. The Puma Taman Ayun temple sounds very interesting as you say in your blog that it has a stunning moated design that symbolizes the Hindu world set in the cosmic sea where it’s reminded me about the importance of water in other countries, the water used for growing rice in the rice fields from the river that passes through and then goes towards the sea. On your next big adventure can you please take me along…. I won’t be a bother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello julia I found the festival of the moon images the most interestig for me as i was interested in ruins for my fine art project. It was partially because it is still being used that made it differant to the ruins in western society. The decorative features were so interesting to see as they differ so much from western features on churches for example. The swirling features of the dragons on the temple front were such a difference and would be interesting to explore with mark making.

    ReplyDelete