Wednesday 24 July 2013

DAY 1:D-DAY! (Departure Day).THE EDEN VALLEY and ENGLETHWAITE HALL


Sunday 21st July 
Up at dawn, final garden watering (heat wave still in full swing) whilst also allowing my eye to linger on the wonderful plants in flower that will be over by the time of my return – notably my spectacular yuccas, and the climbing rose, ‘The Rambling Rector’ which is coming to a gorgeous crescendo of blooms, having now completed its own 4 year ‘JOURNEY’ clambering in tandem with the honeysuckle in a race to the top of my damson tree.  Then there is the packing of final items, checking the checklists (again), fond farewells to parents and friends, before finally departing mid- morning for Cumbria and the first leg of my JOURNEY.

 
3.5 hours later, I arrive at the beautiful Caravan Club site of Englethwaite Hall, near Carlisle – a favourite stopping off point used several times on previous trips north of the border, and set in the serene Eden Valley, with its gentle, rolling hillsides and sheep-studded fields. I pitched amidst the rhododendrons in what was the garden of the former old hall, with views from the motorhome windows over the Lakeland fells, and a backdrop of the High Stand Forest.  After a salad lunch, I headed through the adjacent kissing gate into the woods and along a track that takes you past the 3 pools where owner/entrepreneur Joseph Robinson had once extracted gypsum, and the remains of the railway line that took his unearthed treasure to the nearby Low Cotehill Station.

The first leg of my Journey to Scotland took me past The Lake District and onto the North of Cumbria and the Scottish Borders. Progress was quick as the route was nearly all motorway. 


No comments:

Post a Comment